I can't believe it was four years ago that I was in high school and counting down the days to freedom and college. I was hesitant about going all the way to Utah and becoming a "Utahrd" but the benefits of living on my own and growing up outweighed those concerns. Looking back to who I was four years ago, you could say I haven't changed much minus the short hair and ring on the fourth finger. Here is how I've changed.
1. Utah is a whole different ball game.
Coming to the Mormon motherland, I was instantly surrounded by kids just like me: from a large family, plays lots of instruments, and is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You go to the grocery store, and your clerk asks you if you have any plans for FHE. This is something that would NEVER happen outside of Utah. Most people in the world don't even know what FHE is let alone how they will spend it. But here, it's like duh, he's just trying to be friendly!
One of my supervisors put it this way: when you are in Utah, it is like being in Rome surrounded by Catholics. The religion is a part of the culture, learn the language and accept it as "the norm." Growing up as a minority in Southern California, this idea that "Mormons are everywhere" is something I wasn't used to. It has become a great blessing to meet and grow close with several people from all over the world who share the same faith. I have always had a strong testimony, but getting to know and love so many wonderful friends at Church has helped me to realize just how incredible members of the Church are. They can have different tastes in clothes, dating, food, or music, but they will excel at whatever they try, and they will be our world's next leaders. I'm glad I have gotten to know so many.
2. Families are Forever
I have to admit, in high school, I did not cherish the incredible family that I had. I just couldn't wait to be hundreds of miles away and on my own. It was here in college that I realized that my family members are my truest and move beloved friends. My siblings and I have so much fun together, I end up crying every time I have to leave them for Utah. Now that Alan and I are married, I have a whole other family to love and grow close with. I might be biased but I think I have some of the sweetest and most thoughtful, loving in-laws anybody could ever have.
During college, I have lost all of my grandparents to sickness and age. My grandparents died within a year of each other, making it a difficult time for my parents and siblings. My grandparents helped me pay for college, and made sure I had grocery money so I wouldn't go to sleep without dinner. Several times in my life I was given an opportunity to do something incredible because my grandparents insisted on paying for it. I owe them everything.
What a wonderful blessing it is to know that all families have the opportunity to be sealed together forever through the Gospel. Death, sickness, or geography will never separate me from them. Knowing this is probably one of the biggest blessings I have been given in this life. I know my deceased family members watch over and protect us, and I look forward to the day when I get to run up to them, kiss them on the cheek and tell them just how much I've missed them.
3. Marriage is wonderful
Two years ago I met Alan while making a total idiot of myself. I posed as a UK exchange student and caught his eye, and we have been inseparable ever since. You don't know what you need in a husband until his is right there by your side. So many things I thought I wanted in a husband turned out to be all wrong. Alan is my other half: my patience when I am frustrated, my comfort when I am distressed, my go-to for advice and suggestions, and he is always my smile.
Getting sealed to him in the temple for Time and All Eternity was my favorite memory of my entire life. Our first year together has been filled with laughs and wonderful memories. I am so grateful he loves me despite all my shortcomings (and occasionally failed dinners). Getting to be not just yourself, but your truest, most honest self, and all the time, has to be the most liberating thing in the whole world. It's like those little kids who go running around with nothing on them but their devilish little grin. Sorry if it's a graphic picture, but it describes it perfectly to me. I mean, doesn't this baby look so happy and free? I highly recommend it to everybody. Not nudity, marriage. ahaha.
4. In a world full of technology, we can't forget to think for ourselves
I am a communications major, and as such I am a social media expert. We discuss all the latest technologies and social media trends, and how they might impact our society. With all of this I have learned that you should never replace social media with actual, real communication. They never measure up, and real communication leads to happiness and increased success, not increased Twitter skills. Also, reading books and writing helps to stir creative and original thoughts. You might ask, why would we need original thoughts when there are so many funny ones on the internet? Its good to know what you feel, and why you feel that way. As part of this, I am truly going to write more on this blog. One small step for me, one giant leap for my blog.
Stay tuned loves. God bless America.




I love you.
ReplyDeleteI'm excited for you to write more. I will be right here ready to read.
ReplyDelete